So you’ve got a scholarship application in front of you. Congratulations! That’s a big deal, and it’s also an opportunity to show the world what makes you different. Say’s Wade Kricken ,a scholarship essay is your chance to stand out from the competition, so it should reflect who you are as a person — not just what grades or test scores you earned in high school or college. But how do you go about crafting that winning essay? We asked experts for their best tips on everything from brainstorming ideas to choosing words carefully.
Think about who you are and where you’re headed.
The best scholarship essays are personal. They reflect your unique passions, interests and experiences. As you write your essay, think about who you are and where you’re headed. What is your passion? How do those passions influence the way that you live your life?
- Are there certain causes or issues that motivate you to take action?
- Do certain people inspire or influence the way that they live their lives in a way that inspires others (e.g., teachers, mentors)?
- If so, how can this be applied to bettering yourself as well as other people around them
Make sure your essay is about more than just grades and test scores.
- Make sure your essay is about more than just grades and test scores.
- Include a personal story.
- Talk about what you want to do with your life, and why that makes you deserving of this scholarship.
Share some of your biggest accomplishments.
Be sure to share your biggest accomplishments. These are the types of accomplishments that are worth sharing:
- Achieving a high GPA in high school or college
- Being accepted into an Ivy League university
- Winning awards for academic or extracurricular achievement (examples include being named valedictorian, receiving an award from the governor or president)
Write an essay that is personal and allows the reader to know who you are as a person
An essay that is personal and allows the reader to know who you are as a person will be more likely to win you a scholarship. The best way to do this is by being honest about yourself and sharing your story with other people. Don’t be afraid to share personal information; it can really help you stand out from other applicants if done correctly!
Remember, the scholarship essay is an opportunity for you to show off your writing skills and personal brand. It should be an honest reflection of who you are as a person, not a formulaic essay that reads like every other one. If you follow these tips, then it will be much easier for you to craft an essay that stands out from others and helps secure your acceptance into college!